Monday, April 16, 2012

Sore Muscles

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Its time to get back on track! So this brings me to a question I've been getting asked all the time in the gym lately.

I have had a lot of clients ask me whats the best thing for sore muscles?

Personally I believe that sore muscles are necessary to becoming in better shape. If your not experiencing sore muscles once in a while then your not training hard enough. Try upping the intensity and practicing your form. Most people think that because they preform a repetition the way it visually should be preformed means that their form is flawless. My next post will be on perfect form so I will not go too in depth with. A rep is all about learning how to felx that muscle with that added resistance of the exercise. Each muscle has its own specific range of motion in which it can be flexed. For example a person can bend his or her arm completely and flex the bicep. They also can straighten it 90% of the way and flex the bicep and tricep at the same time... But is it possible when the arm is completely bent to flex the tricep? No it is not. So when you work your triceps you should never let your arm bend to the point where you cannot flex your tricep, same goes for all muscles.

This is an example of all the possible positions a bicep can be flexed in (While still keeping the tricep somewhat activated). Any more drastic then that curl, and the tricep becomes deactivated or any straighter, then the bicep becomes deactivated.









So back to sore muscles, when one is stuck with a case of sore muscles they should first, Foam roll. (I will post a video of foam rolling techniques at the end) The person should eat potassium in the morning the day of and day after a workout. Bananas are a great source of potassium but as I've said earlier in my blog a banana too late in the day can result in slowing your metabolism down. Also if a joint say your shoulders is bothering you or sore, it should be iced for 20minutes on 20 minutes off 6 times before bed. so thats 120 min on 120min off. Yes you should spend 4 hours icing your shoulders. Trust me I have bursitis in my shoulders because I never iced in high school and take my word for it, IT IS PAINFUL!

Recap:

1. Form needs to be good and intensity needs to be up to achieve sore muscles.
2. Potassium helps break up lactic acid in your body during the restoration of your muscles.
3. Foam Roll on the muscles that you worked the hardest.
4. Joints should always be iced when they have become achy or painful.
5. Dont wait until you get bursitis to take my advice! haha


Have a great day everyone hope this helped!

Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment