Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reps until failure

I have an assignment for those of you who follow my blog regularly and are looking for the last little edge before summer comes!

If you are looking to get the most out of your workouts I always recommend you go until FAILURE.

This is an important term that I use often with my clients when I am training them for strength, size of just to get lean. I am looking for you to push your body to its limits. **This is obviously a suggestion if you have any health related conditions you should consult with your doctor before trying this routine. This routine as it is very safe if done correctly is equally dangerous if done wrong.**

Failure is something I will define in fitness as total muscle exertion. The final phase at which your muscle will be strong enough to exert force against resistance in order to barely overcome that resistance one final time.

Meaning THE LAST REP YOU CAN PHYSICALLY DO! (simple) Lets figure out how to do the form, then lets do the form, then lets go heavier slowly and keep going until we get to the point where we can barely do 5-7 reps when that comes we make it lighter and lighter until we can't even hardly do 1 full rep.... This is failure!

When you reach failure I want you to take note of how your muscles feel, how you feel, how much better your workout feels compared to how it usually does. Do this with your last 3 exercises in your routine. So for example if you normally do :

Clean and jerk 4 sets 7-10reps
Shoulder press 4 sets 10 reps
Circuit 
Cable Front raise 4 sets 10 reps
Narrow Grip pull-ups 3 sets 10 reps
Cable Lateral raise 3 sets 10 reps
       Last Set Until Failure (4 total sets)
Circuit 2
Rear delt machine 3 sets 8-12reps
         Last set to failure (Total of 4 sets)
Lateral Arm circles (Not weighted)
        1 minute each set 3 sets


This is just a sample workout and yes you can do that routine and it will work but I am just trying to give you an idea of how you structure a workout with Failure sets in them. If you do failure at the beginning you will have a horrible workout. If you do failure too soon in the workout again you will ruin your whole workout but if you do them at the end you will make your workout 10x as effective. Try it! Let me know what you think!

Email me your questions

Frankp.Training@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment